Phase 1 Formal Letter of Introduction

To whom, it may concern,

I am a fourth year at the City College of New York, writing to apply for a position at your lab as a researcher. As long as I can remember, I have always been interested in science and as the semesters have gone by, my interest has grown. It was not until junior year that I took my first science course here at CCNY, which was BIO 101. Everyone, including my sister, had warned me not to take the course here because the professor was known to be very strict and his curriculum was very rigorous. Despite all those warnings, I proceeded to take the course and without a doubt, enjoyed it very much. Specifically, I enjoyed learning about genes, genetic variation, mitosis, meiosis, etc. From there, I decided to keep taking science courses, which ranged from learning about the human body through Anatomy and Physiology to learning about bacteria in Microbiology. While my interest in science sparked in BIO 101, the need to learn more about science came through microbiology. 

I think the course that changed my life and my view of science was microbiology. I had taken the course as a prerequisite last semester, but never did I imagine the impact that it would have on me. Microbiology was the study of bacteria and instead of just learning about it, I had a lot of hands-on experience in a lab where I used microscopes to study bacteria that I found on surfaces. The biggest project of that class was studying and finding out what bacteria I had through a series of tests. It was truly an unforgettable experience. This allowed me to become more aware of the bacteria around us, ranging from those that are harmless to those that can cause serious damage. There were always a lot of complicated terminology, but because of the hands on experience, I was able to catch on quickly. I hope to get a position in this lab to study more bacteria and eventually have a breakthrough in which I can identify bacteria that cause illness and hopefully work my way through to understanding how they function and how they can be eliminated. I hope to contribute to science by finding disease-causing bacteria and being able to find cures or atleast take steps to understanding more about them to help the global fight them. 

By the end of the semester, I hope to improve significantly in my writing. I do struggle with writing papers that are considered good and because this is writing for the sciences, I know that it will be a bit challenging. I hope to be able to use scientific research or any research in general to back up my writing. Many times when making statements, we have to support them with research and evidence and be able to do so in a logical and grammatically perfect way. In the future, I will also be required to write for certain jobs and positions and I hope I can do that in a way that will help me get the job.